Gilbert Christian Schools has had a vision for years to provide Christian education for children with special needs. It is ultimately our desire–and we believe God’s desire–to reach out and serve all the children that we can, including those with learning challenges. Gilbert Christian Schools has hired three full-time Resource Teachers to work with our 6th-12th-grade population. Resource Teachers will work with our identified 6th-8th-grade students at Agritopia and Greenfield, as well as our 9th-12th grade identified students at GCHS.
We are not able to service every child with special needs due to the limitations of our finances, expertise, size, facilities, etc. Your communication to us about your child’s needs and submission of records and testing information will help us better determine our ability to accommodate his/her challenges. In an effort to make the most informed decision regarding our ability to serve a student, testing may be required prior to admission into the GEAR program. Each campus will offer up to three classes for GEAR students (English, Math, and Prepare for Success classes). These classes will be in place of the non-GEAR English and Math classes.
As a private school, GCS does not receive government funding for special needs programs. Therefore, GCS is not legally bound to follow existing public school educational plans; however, the goals and recommendations contained in IEP’s and 504 Plans will be considered in the development of a GCS Academic Accommodation Plan (AAP).
The following will be part of the 6th-12th-grade GEAR Program:
- Review all previous data regarding your child’s educational history, including evaluations and services provided in order to create the most appropriate AAP for your child. This plan may include student goals, accommodations, modifications, and recommendations
- Perform academic achievement assessments and provide progress monitoring
- Request further evaluation. (Information about suggested testing options can be provided)
- Provide academic and other necessary interventions and supports for your child in the GEAR classroom
- Access to e-textbooks when they are available
- Students will be scheduled for two or three classes depending on student needs
- Communicate with the other teachers of your son/daughter on a regular basis
- Communicate with parents on a regular basis regarding progress
We tailor our program to the needs of individual students who are enrolled in the GEAR Program. Class placement decisions will be based on input from parents, teachers, previous testing, current testing, and grades. Final placement decisions will be made by the Director of Student Services and the Principal of each school.
Upon evaluation of your child’s needs, the following placement recommendations will be made:
All GEAR students will be scheduled in the Prepare for Success class. The purpose of this class is to work on the following: organization skills, homework completion, preparing for tests, monitoring the student’s work in the non-GEAR classes, academic skill development, and teaching students to advocate for themselves in communicating with teachers.
Two class periods will be scheduled in the GEAR Program on a daily basis: The Prepare for Success class and either an English or Math class.
Additional tuition fees will apply.
Three class periods will be scheduled in the GEAR Program on a daily basis: The Prepare for Success class, English, and a Math class.
Additional tuition fees will apply.
It is possible that a student with academic needs may not be able to continue at Gilbert Christian Schools unless they are enrolled in the GEAR Program.